What is stress? How does it manifest? How can we release it?
The stress response can be summarised as the “fight/flight” reaction. The “fight/flight” reaction is a physiological change in the body. As the body senses danger, it prepares itself to fight or to run:
- Muscles tighten
- Breathing becomes rapid
- Adrenaline rushes through the body
Yoga helps in dealing with stress. How?
- Yoga (exercises) postures work with tension and helps us become aware of tension in the body, understand it and release it
- Breathing exercises help bring emotional stability and calm
- Meditation helps focus the mind, relieves endless mental chatter and so brings clarity and peace of mind
- Relaxation enables us to activate this natural response in the body and so experience the good feelings of release
Yoga is a philosophy that looks inwards and helps us understand, nurture and develop the whole person. Its wisdom is as relevant today in understanding the human condition as it was over five thousand years ago.
For details of qualified yoga teachers near you, click here.