Yoga Therapy Ireland has designed the Yoga Therapy Diploma Course in Dublin specifically for qualified yoga teachers who wish to further develop and advance their knowledge and skills in the more specialised and therapeutic aspects of yoga.
The yoga course is of 16 days duration over a period of a year and a half. The first ten days of the course offer
- an in-depth exploration of the anatomy of yoga postures
- an in-depth look at medical conditions and structural / postural limitations commonly presenting in class situations
- instruction on postural modifations to suit these conditions so that your class is inclusive to all
During this time you will work in small groups on case scenarios, designing and adapting postures and practices to suit students' needs and developing your teaching skills. You will learn to present pranayama to students, building from basic, foundation practices to classical practices in a progressive, systematic approach. You will also learn to include yoga philosophy and meditation in your own practice and your teaching.
During the last quarter of the course, you will focus on and deepen your anatomical, physiological and pathological knowledge of four specific modules: Musculoskeletal System, Respiratory System, Cardiovascular System and Nervous System, where you will:
- Deepen your understanding of the possible medical conditions and limitations likely to be encountered in the above areas
- Develop a sure and confident knowledge of 'safety in practice' when dealing with medical situations in any of the above areas
- Learn the procedures and etiquette around taking case histories
- Gain the confidence and prefessionalism, through practical case study work, to work and engaging on a one-to-one basis with clients
- Learn how to (a) analyse needs (b) plan (c) present and (d) develop follow-up yoga therapy classes where a group of clients with various limiations / medical conditions can share a class setting
- Work together - problem solving in small groups, pooling and sharing knowledge and experience. The sharing of experience and knowlege deepens learning and understanding and allows for creative and diverse thinking.
The Yoga Therapy Diploma Course will also appeal to yoga teachers who would like to teach yoga on a one-to-one basis or who have an interest in specialising in yoga classes for common ailments e.g. Yoga for Arthritis, Yoga for Spinal Conditions, Yoga for Conditions of the Nervous System, Yoga for Breathing Conditions.
The Yoga Therapy Diploma Course is an amalgamation of the Postgrad Course and the Yoga Therapy Course. For those of you have already completed the Postgrad Course, the upcoming Yoga Therapy Course modules are still available to you. Please contact the YTI Office for more details.