What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia used to be called fibrositis or muscular rheumatism. It is now recognised as a specific condition by most rheumatologists. It is characterised by the presence of constant pain in different parts of the body together with “tender spots”. It is though to be a “pain threshold” condition. It is as if the sensory nerves are over sensitive and are registering “lesser” sensations as “painful ones”. It is thought that Fibromyalgia is related to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome because some of the factors overlap. The tiredness and disinclination to do much, with accompanying depression are commonly seen.
What are the benefits of Yoga?
- A simple and gentle hatha practice will stretch and relax the muscles, encourage increased blood flow to muscles and joints, leave muscles soft and relaxed and coax pain to release.
- Relaxation techniques help the body rejuvenate and increase its own healing potential.
- The practice of yoga helps increase energy, counteracting fatigue and tiredness, leaving the individual with a sense of well-being.
- Breath work can help manage pain and also help relieve anxiety and stress that accompanies the condition.
- The practice of meditation and mindfulness steadies the emotions and helps the individual achieve calmness. Contacting deeper aspects of one’s self will help cultivate a more positive attitude in coping with Fibromyalgia.
Open to all
Everyone can practice yoga, even those of us who are unwell. Individual sessions can be arranged to meet the particular needs of the individuals with specific medical conditions e.g. Fibromyalgia. Qualified yoga therapists from Yoga Therapy Ireland are skilled to modify and adapt classical yoga practices to address the needs of the individual and will design a programme to suit those needs. Yoga aims to treat illness by improving health on all levels simultaneously and by restoring inner harmony. In time, by making progress working from a personal tailored programme, the individual would be encouraged to join a general yoga class.
For details of qualified yoga teachers near you, click here.